Friday, November 23, 2007

Clive Barkers Jericho – Completed


I was actually pretty excited to play this game until the poor reviews started coming in. Then I took a step back and decided it might be best to wait and pick it up cheaper later. Ben lent me his extra 360 for the holiday weekend since mine is out for repair. While at his house I got a glimpse of the game along with assassin’s creed. Needless to say Jericho was not even comparable to the beautiful violent game which is assassin’s creed. But since there was nothing else to rent I figured $5 would be worth my time since it is a shooter and well the guy who does “Spikes” voice for cowboy bebop is the main character.

Now the story got me right off the bat, a team built and trained to fight the paranormal (Can you say Hellboy!). Each individual has there unique psychic ability’s much like you find in BioShock or the Darkness. While playing if you find your weapon is under powered or you need a new strategy you just swap to another character and give it another go. Rarely do I feel like I have options while playing through a game and don’t have to use just brute force and hope for the best.

There are a few instances where the UI will just run head first and die in a fight. If you think it through and have a little bit of tact you can utilize them to there full potential. For instance you walk down a long tunnel and at the end these minigun monsters come out of the wood work and destroy your team. But if you tell your team to hold up before the tunnel and run up solo to trigger the event and lead them back the run into a hail of gun fire. By the end of the game I begin to appreciate the squad elements of the game.

One final thing that Ben complained about and I almost have to give praise to, the button mashing sequences. In Jericho when you have to press X is shows on the left side of the screen in the middle and for B it would flash mirrored on the other side of the screen. This made the sequences much easier as you did not need to do as much label or color association as you do in other games. You can easily just judge from the position of the flashing button.

Your welcome to disagree with me, yet I feel this game is an 8 out of 10. Its not BioShock, but I would play it again before halo3 or the darkness.


brooklyn naval shipyard